Tuesday, March 17, 2009

#72 Holes (Theme #150)

I knew we had Pileated Woodpecker holes in a sycamore tree down by the pond behind my dad's house (next door to us--on our land). So, I went down there today hoping to get a picture of them. The sun was right behind them and I couldn't really see what I was shooting--just hoped to get an in focus picture. After scrambling through the underbrush for a while--trying to get close enough to get a shot, I wandered to the other side of the tree...where I found this pair of old holes (last season, maybe--they look like the edges are not as freshly drilled as the pair on the other side).
I tried to get the whole tree to show how high up they were, but this was as far as I could get and still have the holes visible. They are probably at least 40 feet up in the tree--the newer holes are slightly higher.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Great close up of the holes in the middle picture. Nicely done.

Chesney said...

Way to look for a different view, these are great!

Ron a.k.a. Danudin said...

Monster Holes bet your glad the woodpeckers got those grubs the moths would have been the size of a 747.

mljrbg said...

Those are some pretty big woodpecker holes!! Nice find.

Lorri said...

Pileated woodpeckers are such amazing creatures--as long as it's not your house they're visiting! Great way to illustrate the theme!

Anonymous said...

Nice shot! Those Pileated's are big!

Anonymous said...

Nice shots and good close-ups too. Like how you have illustrated the theme. You are fortunate to have a Pileated Woodpecker make his home there - if for nothing else except photo ops. :D

We have a brightly colored one that comes around, but don't think he is Pileated. He is usually too quick for me to get a photo.

Anonymous said...

These are fine, I've always wanted to see a skull of one; the force they have is impressive.